Your Whirlpool electric oven model WFE510S0AS is equipped with a trim vent, which is located at the top of your oven door. The trim vent has multiple jobs. Its first job is holding the oven’s outer glass to the oven door. Its second job is providing a base for the oven door handle, and its third and final job is venting the hot air out of the oven door assembly. The oven trim will need replacing if it’s damaged and is no longer holding the outer glass to the oven door or it is no longer supporting the oven door handle. Luckily, swapping out the faulty vent for a new one is an easy do-it-yourself repair that shouldn’t take long at all.
Appliance Repair Safety Tips
- Before you begin repairing your oven, unplug the appliance from the wall or turn it off at your home’s circuit breaker.
- While working on any appliance repair, it’s important to protect your hands and eyes by wearing work gloves and safety goggles.
- If you reach a point where you no longer feel comfortable completing the oven repair, please stop what you are doing and contact an appliance repair expert to finish the job.
How to Replace the Trim Vent in Your Whirlpool Oven
- Before you can remove the trim vent you’ll need to tape the outer glass to the oven door. Make sure to use tape that will not leave a sticky residue on the door.
- Once the outer glass is secure, remove the two screws that hold the trim vent and the door handle to the oven door. Next, carefully pull the vent and handle off the door.
- Place the trim vent and door handle on a flat surface. Using a ratchet with a number 2 bit, unthread the screws securing the handle to the vent, and then separate the two parts.
- Grab the new trim vent and install the door handle to the vent.
- Head back to your oven and slide the new trim vent onto the oven door. Then, rethread the screws that hold the door handle and vent in place.
- To finish up your repair, remove the tape securing the glass, close the oven door, and plug-in your appliance.
If you have questions about your oven’s performance or you would like to schedule an appliance repair, please contact us today and we’ll be happy to help you.